As you might have guessed I like baking and, if money grew on trees, I would bake every day and weight a tonne. However, working full time leaves me with just a couple of baking friendly evenings per week. This is where my love for simple and quick recipes comes from. Anything that doesn’t involve much movement or thinking is much appreciated after a long day. And these citrus and coconut muffins are just that!
This recipe is reeealy simple! Mix all ingredients together, spoon into cases, stick those beauties in the oven and wait for tropical mouth watering smell to come your way. Also you can turn this up a notch with listening to this while baking (piña colada optional, but advisable). Relaxing, isn’t it?
You’ll note that recipe calls for ready cut citrus peel. If your local supermarket doesn’t have it, I’d just use grated peel of half orange and half lemon.
CITRUS AND COCONUT MUFFINS (Makes 10)
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
¾ cup semi skimmed milk
½ cup melted butter
½ teaspoon orange extract
1/3 cup desiccated coconut + extra ¼ cup for decorating
¼ cup ready cut citrus peel
½ cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon semi skimmed milk
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl combine beaten eggs, milk, melted butter and orange extract. Add this mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in coconut and citrus peel.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake about 25 minutes or until golden.
- When muffins have cooled, prepare icing by mixing together icing sugar and milk. Using a brush, spread icing (or just pour it over) evenly over muffins and decorate with desiccated coconut.