Without my intent to do so this week has somehow turned into a muffin week here. It started with these Double chocolate muffins and I can’t imagine a better way to finish it than with these blueberry and orange muffins.
I baked these for the first time a couple of months ago when I went on a weekend trip to Wales with a group of friends. It was an early start on Saturday morning and I knew we needed something sweet to kickstart the day. These served perfectly and all 10 disappeared in about 2 minutes, so if you have family/friends who appreciate good muffins make two batches of these instead.
P.S. If you ever have a chance to visit Wales, do it! Brecon Beacons National Park is wonderful and the seaside is breath-taking. Here are some pictures from our late summer trip.
Back to muffins now.
BLUEBERRY AND ORANGE MUFFINS (Makes 10)
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
¾ cup semi skimmed milk
½ cup melted butter
1 tablespoon grated orange peel or ½ teaspoon orange extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl combine beaten eggs, milk, melted butter and orange extract/peel. Add this mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake about 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and serve at room temperature.