This year I used cranberries in baking for the first time. Now there is no way back. It has turned into an addiction! In last month I have baked this apple and cranberry crumble pie a couple of times and half of my freezer is still taken up by these super berries.
The other day when I had nothing yummy for breakfast, it was a perfect excuse (as if I needed one) to bake with cranberries again. These muffins are easy and very fast to make and turned out to be so delicious that I had them for breakfast for next 4 days!
CRANBERRY AND GRAPEFRUIT MUFFINS (Makes 10)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
¾ cup semi skimmed milk
Juice of one grapefruit
½ cup melted butter
¼ cup citrus peel (I used ready cut peel of orange and lemon)
2/3 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl combine beaten eggs, milk, melted butter and grapefruit juice. Add this mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Carefully fold in cranberries and citrus peel.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake about 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and serve at room temperature.