Here comes the second recipe from my last Saturday’s brunch and also first savoury bake on Hey, cakes! This cheddar and spinach loaf is delicious on its own, but toasted and topped with crispy bacon it is just heaven on earth. OK, maybe a slight exaggeration, but it’s good. Very good.
It was well received and super fast consumed by my friends, so this is definitely a recipe that will be used again in our house.
CHEDDAR AND SPINACH LOAF (Adapted from Lakeland)
300g self-raising flour
130g cheddar cheese, grated
150g frozen spinach, defrosted and well drained
2 teaspoons horseradish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a loaf pan (mine is 25cm)
- In a large bowl mix together sifted flour and salt. Mix in cheddar and spinach.
- In a separate bowl beat together egg, milk and horseradish. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for an hour. If you see that the top is getting burned before the inside is ready, cover the loaf with foil for the remaining time.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.