Last week the lovely people at BakingMad.com sent me an amazing package full of baking goodies for me to try. It included Allinson flour, Billingtons sugar and Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract among other baking essentials. Armed with all these superb products and with Pancake Day just around the corner I knew there can’t be a better time to make the crepe cake that has been on my “to bake” list for a while.
As you’ve noticed I’m really in the mood for spring bakes already. So I decided to follow up last week’s fun and colourful blueberry and blood orange cake with equally bright and creamy strawberry crepe cake filled with light pastry cream and topped with fresh strawberries and freesias.
I will be taking this cake to the first BBQ of the year at my friend’s house with hope to get everyone in mood for Pancake Day on Tuesday. On that day, I’m planning to make these American pancakes from BakingMad.com. I’ll be topping them with crispy bacon, brie and a drizzle of honey. Mmm my favourite combination! Give it a try.
Before I move on to the recipe I’d like to share a random fact about me that I remembered while making pancakes for the cake. When I was about 7 or 8 I had a hen as a pet. Well, I’m not sure if it qualifies as a pet, actually, as I just picked one hen from my grandparents’ farm and carried it around with me. Her name was “Daughter” (very original, I know) and I don’t think our affection was mutual as she often tried to escape my hugs.
But now, the cake…
CREPE CAKE WITH PASTRY CREAM AND FRESH BERRIES
Crepes (Basic pancake recipe from BakingMad.com, makes about 18 crepes)
240g plain white flour
Pinch of salt
500ml of milk
6 tablespoons sugar (I used Billingtons golden caster sugar)
5 tablespoons flour
Few drops of vanilla extract
About 6-7 large strawberries
3 tablespoon sugar
Strawberries and edible flowers for decoration
2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix flour, salt, eggs and milk to form a batter. Leave to stand aside for 30 minutes.
- Grease 18cm pan with butter lightly. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan and spread evenly. Cook on each side for 1 minute.
- In a small saucepan heat up the milk until almost boiling.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs with sugar and flour.
- Very slowly pour hot milk in the egg mixture. Continue beating the whole time until all milk is mixed in. Mix in a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Assemble bain-marie by placing a larger saucepan filled with 2 cups of water on a hob and placing smaller saucepan on top of it. Pour egg and milk mixture in the top saucepan.
- Stir it over a medium heat until the mixture thickens and reaches cream consistency.
- Leave aside to cool a little bit.
- In a food processor or using a hand blender crush strawberries and sugar.
Assemble the cake
- Place one pancake on serving plate. Using a brush spread the strawberry glaze on top. Add a tablespoon of pastry cream and spread evenly.
- Continue this layering until the last pancake. Top the last pancake with remaining pastry cream and decorate the cake as you wish.
- Just before serving, in a blender crush 6-7 strawberries with sugar. Pour over each slice of cake.