Living abroad means that I use all my holidays to travel back home to Riga or visit my boyfriend´s family in Catalonia. Those holidays for me are the best thing ever, of course, but I also miss having more free time here in London. Therefore, I have taken a whole week off from work to just pretty much do nothing and do everything at the same time. Having made two bakes on the first day off, I start to believe that this week will turn into a short baking holiday.
Last week I finally received a mini doughnut pan that I ordered some time ago, so there were no second thoughts as to what I´m going to bake next.
I am really happy with how these mini treats with coffee glaze turned out. They are fun and easy to make and taste fantastic, plus they look so cute. The coffee glaze is so flavourful and paired with dark chocolate stripes it merges into an ultimate treat.
MINI BAKED DOUGHNUTS WITH COFFEE GLAZE (Makes 24)
Doughnuts (recipe from bakingmad.com)
150g plain white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
110g caster sugar
20g unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
125g icing sugar
3-4 tablespoons strong coffee
100g dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160C. Lightly brush doughnut pan with oil.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk milk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Mix well to form a batter.
- Pour the batter in a piping bag and fill each of the doughnut holes ¾ full. Alternatively, just carefully spoon the mixture in the holes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until light golden.
- Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- To prepare the glaze, sift icing sugar into a bowl and add strong coffee. Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Dip completely cooled doughnuts into the glaze and transfer back on to the rack to let the icing set.
- When the icing is set, melt the chocolate by microwaving it in 30 second intervals (stirring after each) until chocolate has melted completely. Pour into a piping bag and decorate the doughnuts as you wish.