It has been a while since my last post, but I am now back to regular baking, picture taking, blogging and cake eating.
For past couple of weeks I have been trying to use up half or quarter empty baking stuff that fills my cupboards. An exercise anyone who has a tiny kitchen will understand. Surprisingly, I have actually come to enjoy it as it forces me to try new flavour combinations.
This particular cake is not much of an experiment, but sometimes a spiced up classic is an unbeatable indulgence. Dark muscovado sugar and coffee adds so much richness and flavour to this simple chocolate cake. Sweet and creamy white chocolate ganache perfectly compliments it. The result is this irresistibly chocolaty beauty that you just can’t say no to.
Actually, I made this cake twice in last two weeks, but I forgot to take notes and pictures the first time. How very clever of me, I know. Not that my friends or I really mind having this cake twice. Surprisingly, when I made it the second time they said it tasted even better than the first one. Interesting, considering that the recipes were identical. Maybe I just put more love in this time or some kitchen fairies did their magic tricks. Anyways, I will definitely make it again and who knows, maybe it turns out even better then (imposibruu).
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE
220g plain white flour
230g dark muscovado sugar
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
125ml vegetable oil
250ml strong coffee
400g white chocolate
300g double cream
- Start with preparing the ganache as it will need some time to set. In a saucepan heat double cream until almost boiling and pour over white chocolate that has been broken up in pieces. Stir until chocolate has melted completely. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease three 20cm cake pans.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add sugar, cocoa, soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together milk, vegetable oil and eggs. Pour this into the dry ingredients and using a mixer mix until combined.
- Add coffee and stir until just combined.
- Divide between three cake pans and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the cake layers cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cold, take the ganache and beat it with mixer until almost white and creamy. Spread it between the layers of the cake and use to cover sides and top. Decorate with fresh berries or serve as it is.