Just a little snack I made for the premiere of Game of Thrones this week. It is not unknown that after a GoT episode one might need a bit of cheering up, so I thought it’s best to be ready.
LEMON CAKE MINI DOUGHNUTS (Makes 24)
150g self raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
110g caster sugar
Grated peel of one lemon
20g unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
180g icing sugar
Juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 160°C and grease mini dougnuts pan.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, sugar and grated lemon peel.
- In a separate bowl beat milk, eggs, butter and vanilla extract. Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter in a piping bag and fill each of the doughnut holes ¾ full. Alternatively, just carefully spoon the mixture in the holes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until light golden.
- Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- To prepare the glaze, sift icing sugar into a bowl and stir in lemon juice and a few drops of food colouring. Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Dip completely cooled doughnuts into the glaze and transfer back on to the rack to let the icing set. You can keep adding a few drops of food colouring as you go if you want you want the doughnuts to be in different shades.