I‘m starting my intensive Catalan course next week which means I still have quite a bit of time on my hands this week. The result of this is probably the cutest thing I have made before. Mini doughnuts as such are cute simply because of their size, but colour them pink, add a couple of eyes and a snout and they are adorable! You can use different sprinkles to take this up a notch and create a variety of looks and emotions.
Apart from having emoji like looks these little piglets are delicious. If you like marzipan, you will love these bite size almond mini doughnuts.
ALMOND MINI DOUGHNUT PIGLETS (Makes 24)
150g all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
100g caster sugar
50g ground almonds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
20g butter, melted
a few drops of almond extract
125g icing sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk
red food colouring
50g white chocolate
50g dark or milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150C. Grease mini doughnut pan.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and ground almonds. Separately, mix butter, milk, eggs and almond extract. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients and pour egg mixture into it. Mix until just combined. Using a piping bag or a teaspoon pour the mixture into the doughnut pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until doughnuts are firm to touch and have doubled in size. Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, prepare the little piggy noses. Melt white chocolate and pour into a piping bag. Pipe little white rounds on to a baking paper and transfer to freezer.
- When doughnuts have completely cooled, prepare the icing by mixing icing sugar with milk and a few drops of red food colouring. Dip doughnuts into the icing to cover top half and move back to the cooling rack. Wait 5 minutes and then add white chocolate noses to doughnuts.
- Finally melt dark or milk chocolate and using toothpick add eyes and nostrils. Add sprinkles or other decorations if you wish.