These cupcakes, guys! These cupcakes… At the beginning of the week Genis came back from his parents house with a bag full of home grown peaches from his grandpa’s garden. “Home grown peaches” actually still sounds really exotic for me as does the notion that one can grow figs, lemons and other southern goodies in a garden.
So, for past couple of days I have been looking for a perfect peach recipe and I came across this peach cupcake recipe from Hummingbird High. The cupcakes turned out soft and light with fruity and sweet peach base. It is also a National Cupcake Week, so isn’t it a perfect way to celebrate that?!
And let me tell you about this frosting – it is so light! Probably not in calories, but can’t we treat ourselves from time to time?! It tastes like a gorgeous mousse/yogurt with intense but not overpowering flavour of raspberries. I cannot wait to see how is it going to work with other berries.
PEACH AND RASPBERRY CUPCAKES (Makes 12)
120g brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 small peaches, chopped into pieces
Cream cheese frosting
100g cream cheese
300g icing sugar
few drops of vanilla extract
Raspberries and sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a muffin tray with paper cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter using your hands until the mixture reaches crumbly consistency. Separately, whisk egg, vanilla extract and milk and then pour into dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
- Divide the chopped peaches between paper cases ensuring the base of each case is covered. Spoon the cupcake batter on top until 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cake bounces back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To prepare cream cheese frosting beat raspberries in a blender into a puree. Separately, using a mixer beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually start adding icing sugar mixing after each addition. Finally add raspberry puree and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated and the colour is even.
- When the cupcakes have cooled completely pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. Decorate with raspberries and sprinkles if desired.