Over past few weeks I have made this cake three times. First, as a taste test, which, as you might be able to guess, went pretty successfully. Second time to celebrate Genis’ grandpa’s 88th birthday. This time it was a four layer naked cake. Quite a bit of time went into making that cake as I wanted it to fit the special occasion. For this reason I topped it with these delicious triple sec caramelised walnuts and hazelnuts prepared in advance.
No doubt the four layer cake was a beauty and tasted incredible, but I needed to bring it to daily life by taking a few steps out of the preparation. And that is how this pumpkin and carrot bundt cake was born. I just love baking bundt cakes. It is such a simple process that always results in a stunning cake. So now I am looking for another excuse to bake this cake..
PUMPKIN AND CARROT BUNDT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING
260g brown sugar
250ml vegetable oil
250ml pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
225g finely grated carrots
80g cream cheese
1 tablespoon very soft butter
a few drops of vanilla extract
300g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease bundt cake pan really well.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, milk and spices. Mix until just combined.
- Separately mix flour with baking powder, soda and salt. Fold this into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in grated carrot and mix until combined. Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake stand in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the icing. Using a mixer beat together cream cheese and butter until combined and there are no lumps. Mix in vanilla and slowly start adding icing sugar. Beat until all sugar is incorporated. Store in the fridge until the cake is completely cool. Then simply pour icing over the cake and decorate with some caramelised walnuts if desired.