When I bake cupcakes, normally, I have a cake in mind and then look for the frosting that would complement it. It was not the case this time. This frosting is just too good to be the background flavour. And there were no second thoughts as to what the cake flavour should be as it is hardly a discovery that coffee and chocolate is a match made in heaven.
This was also a first time I have made chocolate decorations at home and I think I might be an addict now. It is a rather relaxing process and I can’t wait to find an excuse to make some more. I don’t think I will wait long for that.
CHOCOLATE AND COFFEE CUPCAKES (Makes 12)
100g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
60g soft butter
120ml whole milk
1/4 tsp rum extract
100g icing sugar
60ml single cream
1 teaspoon strong coffee, prepared beforehand
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Using an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until mixed and light in colour. Beat in the egg and rum extract. Mix until combined.
- Separately mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Alternating with the milk add dry ingredients to butter and sugar i.e. add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix, then add 1/3 of milk. Continue until all incorporated.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake cases filling them 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- In the meantime prepare the frosting by beating together all ingredients. Pipe the frosting onto cool cupcakes and decorate as desired.