Cinnamon rolls might be one of my favourite things ever. They are not just delicious, but also fill your house with this divine warm smell that makes them just irresistible. It is impossible to eat just one!
This whole wheat cinnamon roll CAKE version is a perfect thing to serve with tea and coffee. Like with the individual rolls, the cinnamon filling is evenly spiralled throughout the whole cake making every bite just uhh! that good. Also this dough it incredibly easy to work with that is always a big plus when the dough is involved.
WHOLE WHEAT CINNAMON ROLL CAKE
2g dry yeast
125ml milk, warm
375g wholewheat cake flour, divided
25g butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
85g butter, softened
60g brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
50g icing sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Add 75g of flour and mix. Cover with a clean towel and set aside for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- After this time add melted (not hot!) butter, egg and salt. Gradually start adding flour until all incorporated. Knead the dough in the bowl for about 5 minutes or until it becomes elastic and just slightly sticky. Cover with a clean towel and set aside for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- In the meantime prepare the filling by mixing together very very soft butter, sugar and cinnamon. Line a 20cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Once risen, place the dough on a clean surface and roll it out into a rectangle until the dough is about 5mm thick. Slice it into 5cm long strips. Spread the cinnamon filling in the centre of each slice across all of its length and seal the sides in a way that it forms a long thin roll. Starting from the centre of the roll into a snail pattern and transfer to the prepared pan. Continue with the rest of the strips and keep adding those to the pan, expanding the snail pattern. Once all the strips are used cover the pan with a clean towel and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Bake the cake for 25-27 minutes or until golden brown in colour, then transfer to a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- To prepare the icing simply mix icing sugar with milk and pour over the cooled cinnamon roll cake.