This is a recipe for a party in a cupcake form. Dulce de leche speaks for itself, really. It makes everything better and is one of my (many) food related weaknesses. I was very close to ditching the idea of making the icing and just digging straight in the jar of caramel goodness with a big spoon. However, it is really worth making the effort not to and see how great dulce de leche works with popcorn. Popcorn is not exactly a typical topping for cupcakes, but it works great here to add crunchiness to the whole thing.
If you are looking for cupcakes that are fun to make and fun to eat than look no further. They are a perfect combination of textures and flavours with soft and sweet cupcake and crunchy and salty popcorn topping.
DULCE DE LECHE AND POPCORN CUPCAKES (Makes 12)
140g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
60g soft butter
120ml whole milk
3 tablespoons dulce de leche
100g icing sugar
Your choice of popcorn
2 tablespoons of dulce de leche for decorating
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Using an electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until mixed and light in colour. Beat in the egg and rum extract. Mix until combined.
- Separately mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Alternating with the milk add dry ingredients to butter and sugar i.e. add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix, then add 1/3 of milk. Continue until all incorporated.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake cases filling them 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- To prepare the icing mix together all ingredients until just combined. Spoon it carefully over the cooled cupcakes and add popcorn on top. To decorate the top with dulce de leche, place it in the microwave for 30 seconds or until melted and pour over the popcorn. NOTE: if making cupcakes for the following day, add popcorn just before serving as otherwise it will become soggy