Meringues is one of my favourite things to bake. The work is totally not proportional to the results achieved. All you have to do is spend 5 minutes beating the egg whites, then pipe those into whatever shapes come into your mind and let the oven do the rest. What comes out then is this delicate crunchy dessert with beautifully soft and chewy centre. It already is a perfect dessert itself.
Though you can go further down the epic yumminess road and spice it up with some food flavourings, add colour, cover it in chocolate then roll it in sprinkles, sandwich it together with some cream or make it one of the layers of the cake. I could go on and on, and on… And I actually am, as I have tried all of those options, so this time I wanted to try something new and these meringue nests with chocolate mousse filling and raspberries is the result.
MERINGUE NESTS WITH CHOCOLATE MOUSSE AND RASPBERRIES (Makes 8)
4 egg whites
110g dark chocolate + 50g for decorating, melted
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar
250ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 100C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. With mixer still on start adding sugar one teaspoon at a time. Beat to firm peaks. Spoon this mixture into a piping bag and pipe 8 discs measuring about 8-9cm in diameter. Then pipe only outline circles on the top, thus forming a small nest. Repeat one more time to increase the height of the sides. Bake the meringues for 1h 45min and then turn the oven off and keep them there for another hour. Do not open the oven before the cooling time is over.
- In the meantime prepare the chocolate mousse. In a small saucepan combine egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 60ml of cream. Heat this mixture on a medium fire until it coats the back of the spoon. Do not let it boil. Then remove from the heat and slowly fold in melted chocolate.
- Separately, beat the rest of the cream with 1 tablespoon of sugar into soft peaks. Gradually fold in egg and chocolate mixture. Cover the mousse and place in the fridge until the meringues are ready.
- Once the meringues are cooked and cooled, spoon about 3-4 teaspoons of mousse into each nest and cover with fresh raspberries. Decorate with melted chocolate.